Back  Main Page

Stirling Cinemas

The Allanpark / Carlton

Opened 5th October 1938, seating 1700. Built for Stirling Cinema & Variety Theatres Ltd. Designed by Sam Runcie A.R.I.A.S. Glasgow
Later acquired by Caledonian Associated Cinemas in 1969, and twinned (approx 2x300 seats) in 1977 by dividing balcony in half with a false ceiling over front of stalls which are now used for bingo.
Bought in late 1990s by Carlton Bingo who own numerous Bingo halls; this is their only cinema operation. Photo above Courtesy of Alan Bunting

Click here for a picture of the rear of the auditorium.
Click here for some interior pictures, courtesy of Alan Bunting and Hugh Thomson.
Click here from some archive shots from the 60s and 80s, courtesy of Andy Simmonds.
Archive photo of the staff on opening night here, courtesy of Stewart Donaldson.
MacRoberts Arts Centre & Cinema
Stirling University Campus





The cinema is part of the recent re-development of The MacRobert Arts Centre.  Main theatre opened in the 1960s; the new cinema in October 2002.
The main theatre has also had a thorough re-furbishment and remains fully equipped as a cinema so that popular films are still shown in its much larger auditorium.

Both are equipped with the latest Dolby Digital Surround Sound and each has a pair of Century projectors with Strong Super Lume-x lamp housings, the new cinema running with 1600w lamps and the theatre 2kw.  The projectors can be run at 18/20/22/24 & 25 fps.

The new cinema, seating 136 has an 8 x 3.5 metre screen (for proper Cinemascope format) with fixed top masking and variable side masking for smaller formats, but no tabs.

The theatre seats 470 and is due to have a brand new screen installed shortly. Its fly tower is visible in the exterior photograph above.

Miners Welfare Hall
The Craigs (now Burghmuir Road)

A cinema operated in the main hall - know as the Randolph - for several years around 1929.
An archive photo of the interior (seating around 300) is available here, courtesy of Hugh Thomson.


Alhambra Theatre
Arcade off King Street


Opened 1882 as Arcade Theatre seating 1,200. Renamed for cine-variety, 1912.
Full-time cinema, 1930. Stage shows returned, late 30s. Closed 1939
Photo courtesy Harry Rigby, as is this rear view here.
Now empty above shops. Arcade is B-listed
Archive photo here courtesy Stewart Donaldson


Other Stirling Cinemas - since demolished

(Information and archive photos courtesy of Andy Simmonds)

The Regal, Maxwell Place
Opened 1932. Owned by ABC. Closed and demolished in the 1960s for town bypass road.
(Archive interior and projection photos of the Regal from the 1930s, courtesy of Hugh Thomson)
 
The rest owned by Stirling Cinema & Variety theatres Ltd:-
 
The Kinema, Lower Craigs
  Opened 1915. Closed as cinema - reopened as Plaza dance hall, then to bingo, demolished mid 70s.
 
The Queens, Queen St.
Opened 1928. Closed as cinema then used as furniture warehouse. Demolished mid 80s
(Archive photos of the demolition here and here, courtesy of Hugh Thomson)
 
The Picture House on corner of Orchard Place & Thistle St.,
  Opened 1921. Closed around 1966 & demolished 1972 for area redevelopement and Thistle shopping centre.


Back  Main Page