The New Picture House in St
Andrews opened in 1931. It has a long, narrow auditorium, with a
balcony and a barrel-vaulted ceiling. Designed by architects Gillespie
and Scott, two dressing rooms were also provided to service a
reasonably deep stage, which until recently was used for local amateur
screen was added under the balcony in the 1990s, and a third in the
other half of the rear stalls in 2002. In 2005, the seating was Screen
1 - 475 seats (in original circle and front stalls); Screen 2 - 124
seats, Screen 3 - 100 seats (both in original rear stalls).
main auditorium is decorated with a series of paintings of the local
area - including the cinema itself - and the embossed letters NPH (for
New Picture House) crown the proscenium.
Numerous original decorative
features remain intact in the building, including original doors and
signage, and remnants of the original gas secondary lighting system (no
As of July 2005, the balcony is currently being extended forward onto
the projecting roofs of the mini-screens below, to providing additional
luxury seating for the main screen.
House has a long outer foyer with an island paybox, leading
to a circular inner foyer with a domed ceiling, from which steps lead
up to the balcony.
The original cinema restaurant/cafe, situated
under the balcony rake and above the foyer, is now sublet as a
bar/restaurant, and accessed from a new entrance to the left of the
The cinema has an unusual exterior, which creates a
covered area over the pavement outside to shelter patrons waiting to
Along with the Campbeltown
, it is now one of only two cinemas
in Scotland where one can see a film from the best seats in the house -
at the front of a balcony...