Photo above c1993 courtesy Chris Doak
Another exterior photo can be seen here courtesy Norrie Mcnamee.The Odeon Motherwell opened on Hogmanay 1938, designed by the cinema chain's house architects Andrew Mather, and originally sat 1,752. The exterior was covered in cream faience tiles, later replaced by render. After closing as a cinema in 1975, the building was used as a bingo hall until demolition in 1995.
This was one of only 3 purpose-built circuit-style Odeon cinemas built in Scotland - the other two were at Hamilton (also now demolished) and Ayr (still open in 2006). Others Odeons had been planned for Bridgeton, Dumbarton, Falkirk, Partick, Springburn and Townhead, but these were never completed due to the start of the Second World War.
|Photos c1993 courtesy Chris Doak
The New Century Theatre opened as a variety hall in 1902, seating 1,500. It became a shortlived cinema called the Motherwell Theatre from 1913-1915, before returning to its original name. It closed in 1933 for rebuilding, and re-opened as the Rex cinema in 1936, with only the facade retained from the earlier building. It now seated 2,031. Closure came in 1976, after which it was used for first amusements, then as a nightclub and was finally demolished in 1995.
Additional exterior photo c1993 here courtesy Norrie Mcnamee
Back Main Page