Back  Main Page

Largs Cinemas

Picture House / George

Opened 1913, with around 700 seats. Now used to store antiques.
Pictures courtesy of Gary Painter

Barrfields Pavilion, Vikingaar Centre
40 Greenock Road

The 1000-seater Barrfields Pavilion (the white art-deco part of Vikingar to the left of the Vikingar sign in the photograph) was built as a theatre in 1930. 

In the 70's, a projection room was built in place of the gallery seating level reducing numbers to 500, allowing cinema shows to take place in the theatre. 

In the 1990's a leisure centre and visitor attraction was added onto the Pavilion and named the new attractions the Vikingar.  Then in 2002, the cinema finally closed inside the Pavilion leaving the theatre.   

However in the new Vikingar building there is a small 80-seater video theatre called the Valhalladrome, used as part of the Vikingar exhibition to show the history of the Vikings.  A small while ago they used to show Video Saturdays for children and people use it to show films, so now we just know it as the Vikingar Cinema (even though there is no film projection avaliable just video and DVD).
Photo above courtesy Norrie Mcnamee. Information courtesy Ryan Moir.
Photo below c1993, courtesy Chris Doak.

Back  Main Page