Back     Main Page

 Theatre Royal
Hope Street, City Centre


Opened in 1867 as the Royal Coliseum; originally by George Bell. Rebuilt by CJ Phipps after a fire in 1880, and again after another fire in 1895. Used as a TV studio for Scottish Television for many years until 1975, when the interior was restored, and new foyer spaces built, and it reopened as a home for Scottish Opera and Scottish Ballet.

Listed Grade A. Seats 1,547.

Another exterior picture here.

Pictures of the auditorium, ceiling detail, and proscenium kindly provided by Gary Painter.


Back     Main Page