|Opened as a variety hall called
Campbell's Music Salon in 1857, a
conversion of the first and second floors of a warehouse building.
Originally seated around 800 on wooden bench-style seating, with room
for around 300 standing.
Renamed the Britannia in 1859, and again in 1887 as Hubner's Animatograph. Rebuilt as the Panopticon 1906, and became the Tron Cinema in 1922, before reverting to Panopticon again until closure in 1938.
Was used for cine-variety from around 1910, and finally closed as a cinema in 1938.
Upper level of original auditorium is still intact and
amusment arcade. Many atefacts recovered; projections portholes and
more still in situ - see links to interior photos below.