The building is therfore a rare early use of ferroconcrere framing (in order to be fireproof), and the combination of this early exposed concrete structure with marvellous fruite belle epoque plasterwork makes the ceiling treatment and roof structure in particular very special indeed. This construction method did not catch on, despite its advantages, because architects considered it slower than steel-based approaches (one other cinema building that did use the same method was the similarly-named Salon in Sauchiehall Street).
In the aristocratic neighbourhood of Hillhead, we are to have a luxurious picture house. It will be opened this month, and will be known as the Hillhead Picture Salon. The site is in Byres Road at the Botanic Gardens. Seating accommodation will be provided for 500 persons. The building, which is nothing if not roomy, will be handsomely furnished. A pretty colour-scheme of rose de barry and blue has been adopted. The architect is Mr George M Brand. The best pictures the world can supply will be projected in the most up-to-date fashion. Mr Herr Iff's celebrated orchestra will provide the music, an attraction in itself.
- The Entertainer and Scottish Kinema Record , October 4th, 1913, p14
One of the first suburban cinemas in Glasgow, the Hillhead Salon was also notable for housing a full orchestra, and for serving tea and biscuits to its patrons during the afternoon! Until 1914 and the outbreak of war, the orchestra was conducted by the 'celebrated Herr Iff', and the prices of admission were 6d for the front stalls, 9d for the rear, and a shilling for the balcony.
When the Booth family ran the Salon, the entrance was wood panelled, and the ticket machine was electric - you pressed a button for one or however many tickets were required, and a motor whirred and ticket came out. Upon opening the wooden doors with scrolled brass handles, a velvet curtain on a brass tubular rail fixed on the barrier behind the back row of stalls seats was revealed.
In the centre of the auditorium ceiling there was an oval house light, and on the side walls in the middle of the plaster work panels were lights with shades with a 3D hexagonal shape with black lines round them - in the 1950s these were still gas lights, and the doorman went round with his pole to dowse them just before the main lights went up and the National Anthem was played. In front of the stage there was an orchestra pit with the rail sloping up from the centre, and at the at outer sides of the rail there were big round ball lights.
To get to the projection room you had to go in through the Gents toilet door and turn right. All this was altered when it was done up in the 1970s, when Westrex projection and sound equipment were put in - two projectors then changed to a single projector with tower, and Xenon and transistor sound.
The Salon sold books of five tickets at a discount over the full price - this was a good deal, especially for students.
The photos below were taken in 1990 (courtesy Bruce Peter), and show the stunning interior after being redecorated by CAC, who also installed a new screen - the original proscenium was by this time hidden by the later cinemascope screen.
The Salon closed suddenly on 12th October 1992, when staff turned up for work to find themselves locked out. Despite a huge public outcry and campaign to re-open it as a cinema, it remained derelict until it was converted into a Littlejohn's Restaurant in November 1999.
Littlejohn's closed for refurbishment in April 2001, shortly after being purchased (along with the nearby Grosvenor Cinema) by the Glasgow-based G1 Group - click here for more pictures of the Salon after closure as Littlejohn's Restaurant.
In August 2006, G1 Group filed a new planning application (06/02511/DC and 06/02512/DC) to further alter the building, by replacing the Glasgow-style art nouveau panels on the exterior with similar designs in back-lit glass, to open out the entrance vestibule by removing the modern glass doors, to insert three sky-lights in the ceiling to get more light into the building, and to extend the balcony level right across to the screen, creating an additional 60 square metres of floorspace for the restaurant.
This application is currently under consideration by the council.
Official Gong website
Original Plans, Mitchell Library Ref. B4/12/1912/329
A Hillhead Album, Morton, 1973, p93
Along Great Western Road, Urquhat, 2000, p185
100 Years of Glasgow's Glorious Cinemas, Peter, 1996, p111
Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, Williamson, Riches, Higgs, 1990, p353
Cinemas of Cinema City, Louden, 1983, p70
The Glasgow Story website, Salon page
Klondyke of the Cinema World, Doak, 1979, Fig 34
Cinemas in Britain, Richard Gray, 1996, p27
Cathedrals of the Movies, Atwell, 1981, p30
Story of the Western Baths Hillhead, Mann, 2000, p43
Thanks to Frank Watson and Jim Mitchell for their memories of the building.